Monday, October 15, 2007

The Hour

Even before I write the first sentence of this post, I know it will offend some of you. In fact I realize full well that there are a number of you for whom this will be the last visit to 'Homeward Bound'. If its any consolation, my intention is not to offend, but I feel I have been given something I need to share, and I will bear the burden, and accept any consequences that come along with my decision. Before you go away angry, please read the post in its entirety!
Ever since I posted the article on a tale of three cities this morning, something has been nagging at me. At first I didn't know what it was, a word, a sentence, some turn of phrase that that set off my sub-conscious alarms, which my natural mind either glanced over, or refused to see because I was so focused on the task at hand.
The feeling that I had missed something, something big, stayed with me throughout the day, and as much as I tried, I couldn't shake that feeling.
After going to the grocery store, I finally turned my laptop back on, and yes, I am not proud to say it, I actually read my own post from this morning.
Only when I read the last few words of the scripture I quoted in Luke, did I realize what I had missed. At the end of His lamentation over Israel, Jesus essentially said, all these things will come upon you, 'because you did not know the time of your visitation'.
That phrase got me thinking, always a dangerous thing, and as I continued to ponder it, it was like the tumblers of a lock falling into place, each one getting me closer to something that was locked beyond, until finally it opened up.
For many years now, many within the church have nurtured and fostered the idea that God is standing by, throughout our lives, ready to extend the proverbial olive branch, ready to save us with our dying breath, hoping, just hoping, that we look up into the starry sky one night and wonder, and perhaps wave hello. This mentality has caused many a soul, to put off repentance, because there was always tomorrow, and God would still be there, even if today I felt a tug in my heart, a prickling of the soul.
There is another, oh so comforting idea for the masses, that is being spread without regard for truth, that at any time, in any season of one's life, the heart is capable of answering the holy calling.
After you've lived your life, after you've sown your oats, after you've settled your affairs, in the last few minutes of your life on earth, with the feeling of accomplishment and a job well done, you turn your gaze toward the eternal, thereby being added peacefully to the number of those who have entered their eternal rest.
I believe it was Augustin who once said, that a man coming to God in his old age, is like giving God whatever was left over from the devil. It doesn't sound very pleasant, but it has a ring of truth to it nonetheless.
The Bible has a different philosophy on salvation, than what we in our modern age have come to perceive as the way. It is true, God is calling in perpetuity, arms always open, ready to receive, offering love and forgiveness to those that would receive it, but man doesn't always have the capacity to receive them. In our pilgrimage on earth there are moments, times of visitation, when the door is opened to us, and we must walk through.
The Word speaks to us in various places concerning the time of our visitation, which we must know, acknowledge and receive, but it also speaks to us of men whose conscience has been seared, men left to the desires of their hearts. The Bible speaks to us of being given time to repent, but also of hardening one's heart.
Between the time that Jesus was captured, after being betrayed by Judas, and his carrying of the cross up the hill of Golgotha, there was a span of about four hours, wherein he stood before two of the most powerful, influential, and preeminent figures of that time. I am of course referring to Pilate and Herod.
Two men who had power, who had much influence in the eyes of the people, two men who had much in common, yet were treated very differently by Christ.
The gospel of John tells us that Jesus answered all of Pilate's questions, speaking to him of the Kingdom, of truth and of salvation. In essence Jesus was evangelizing Pilate. Another indicator that Pilate was going through his time of visitation, is that his wife had had a strange dream, a prophetic dream which she had shared with him. He had heard enough concerning salvation, and concerning the Savior, that he was now able to either receive the gift, or reject it.
The gospel of Luke tells us of the way Jesus treated Herod, and as we can see in the pages of scripture it was very different than his treatment of Pilate. The gospel tells us that Herod was exceedingly glad when he saw Jesus, for he had desired a long time to see Him, for he had heard many things about Him, yet Jesus stood before him refusing to answer his questions. Jesus looked upon Herod and saw a man whose hour of visitation had already come, a man who had rejected salvation, He looked upon Herod and saw a walking corpse. It was the first time, that Jesus had met either Herod, or Pilate, so the question begs to be asked, why did he treat the two so differently?
The answer can be found in the past. Both men had met Jesus for the first time, but one of them had heard the Word of God before that day, He had been given the opportunity to receive salvation, and rejected it outright.
Herod was the man who some time prior had kept John the Baptist in his prison, a prison located beneath his home, and every day, he would hear the voice of the most powerful and incisive evangelist ever to walk the earth cry out 'repent, repent, repent of your wickedness.'
Though he heard the message, he did not repent, what's more he killed the messenger, hoping the message would die along with him. His time of visitation had passed. God had no more sermons for Herod.
Maybe this has gotten you thinking. Maybe this is not the way you imagined God at all. In fact it is only one of His attributes. God is not mocked, nor will He be put off indefinitely. God is not a twenty four hour shop, there for our convenience, ready to pour out blessings.
Blood was shed, a sacrifice was made, suffering was had, and death was experienced by none other than the Son of God. Do not belittle His sacrifice dear friend, do not believe the stories of the bearded fellow, up in heaven, smiling down, shaking his head ruefully and smiling at our indecision, at our callousness, at our indifference for what He has done.
God is an all consuming fire, and for every man a time of visitation has been set aside, divinely scheduled, and it is in that hour that you must either embrace eternity, or turn your back on love.

With love in Christ,

Michael Boldea Jr.

7 comments:

A Seed Sower said...

Truth brother, Truth!

Dawnthreader said...

I wonder of those who grew up hearing and now living like non-believers? Has the time past or what? I wonder those who say yes then walk away like nothing is different and have "fire insurance". What is a mother to do?

Marcel said...

In this day where people make their own jesus after the imaginations of their heart and certain portions of scripture it is an unpopular calling to say things as they truly are.
We like to hear only the 'good' half of the revelation of God and the church only preaches the Santa Clause god of christianity today.


...And I will utter my judgments against them touching all their wickedness, who have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods, and worshipped the works of their own hands. Thou therefore gird up thy loins, and arise, and speak unto them all that I command thee: be not dismayed at their faces, lest I confound thee before them. For, behold, I have made thee this day a defenced city, and an iron pillar, and brasen walls against the whole land, against the kings of Judah, against the princes thereof, against the priests thereof, and against the people of the land. And they shall fight against thee; but they shall not prevail against thee; for I am with thee, saith the LORD, to deliver thee. Jeremiah 1:17-19

Pilate's wife must have been praying for him.

And Pilate wrote a title, and put [it] on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS
This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, [and] Greek, [and] Latin.
Then said the chief priests of the Jews to Pilate, Write not, The King of the Jews; but that he said, I am King of the Jews
Pilate answered, What I have written I have written.
John 19;19-22
Our leaders today do not have the courage to speak ,let alone write down what Pilate wrote and keep to it when opposed.
The truth offends the proud religious flesh.

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again, But the wicked stumble in time of calamity. Prov 24:16

God is full of mercy and we must be careful not to abuse it.

I've fallen many times and the Lord has made it clear that His spirit will not always strive with man.

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.
Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
Matt. 10:14-15

Even though Jesus told His disciples to do this it would be considered unloving and judgmental for any believer to do this today.
We are snared by the santa clause jesus which rules christiandumb today and so we only hear part of the truth ,the part that gives us a false view of who God truly is.
It's another gospel.
Those who preach the full counsel of God today are as John the Baptist or the rejected prophets ,crying in the wilderness, not popular or taken seriously.
It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah....
When is the last time you heard these words of Jesus spoken in church ?

Anonymous said...

It is true, brother.

The Lord has made it clear in His word that in these times He is going to allow people to be given over to their own lusts. And God will no longer wink at things as He did in times past.

Many are called, but few are chosen. I know we have heard this time and time again, but only few are chosen. Let us not think for a second that we are promised tomorrow or that once we have received salvation, we are sealed forever.

It is clear in God's word that if any man, having put his hands to the plow, so chooses to look back, he is not fit for the kingdom of God. Let God's word be true and every man be a liar.

It is for this reason that many here in this country choose to sin daily, but attend church to "show" everyone how much they love God. I tell you brothers and sisters, if the love of the Truth is not found in us, if it is not what is on our mind and in our hearts every waking moment, there will come a time when we stand before the Living God presenting all that we have done in His name, and He will respond, "Depart from me you workers of iniquity for I never knew you."

Oh God give us ears to hear what your Spirit is saying.

Bro Ryan
ryancfrench@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Tylee:

Wow, i never looked at it like that. I love him, and i really want to reach out to as many people as i can. The lord placed on my heart to birth a ministry and put it on the web site, and begin to warn the people, and help them see the "unveiling of God". the place where divinity is more real to them than humanity.

That's the secret place of real divine intimacy..oh how i love em.

I love u man of God.
your bro. Ty

Anonymous said...

Brother Michael,

Many people in times past have probably been offended at your messages, because you wield the double-edged sword with the precision and unction of the Holy Spirit dividing a man's soul and spirit, but don't write us off just yet.

Many disciples abandoned Jesus after preaching a piercing message about drinking His blood and eating His flesh. He even asked the Twelve if they wanted to abandon Him too, but Peter responded, "To whom shall we go. You alone have the words of eternal life."

Now, I'm not putting you up on a pedestal with Jesus, but anytime truth is preached there is the possibility of converts or deserters. Indeed, we must recognize the hour of our visitation or we may never get another opportunity. Does not scripture say, "How shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation..." and "Today, if you hear His voice, harden not your heart...", and "Today is the day of salvation..."

Keep bringing the meat brother. It is food for our souls and helps us to no longer remain as babes, but rather grow up in our salvation into Him who is the head. Those he foreknew, He also predestined to conform us to the image of His Son.

May we all recognize our own hour of visitation and redeem the time and mature quickly, because the hour is late!

Keep speaking bro!

Brother Andrew

Anonymous said...

I came to Christ maybe 3 or 4 years ago when I was 16 or 17. Before that I was loosely raised catholic believed in God but was living like a non Christian. Its strange now that I think about it. It wasnt untill I found an endtime website that put the fear of God in me that I began my path of repentance and begin studying things of the bible. I new about God but I guess I didnt really know God if you know what I mean. It wasnt untill recently that I really started repenting and die to self.

Did Christ didnt say to me anything like He did Herod? (figuratively speaking)

But then why wasnt I given over to a reprobate mind. There were times I did fall into sin but I repent of it and ask God to help me to never sin again.

Or am I going to deep into it and missed the meaning of this post by miles?