Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Benefits of Blind Faith

It's just a little past 2:00 AM, and I'm still typing away. There is much work to be done before I leave for my trip to Romania, and no I did not forget to post something today, I just haven't had the time.
Imagine if you will, that you had never seen a rainstorm in your life; in fact imagine you had never seen even one single, solitary drop of rain. Throughout your childhood, long into adulthood, it was the dew of the morning that would give the plants and the trees their much-needed hydration and succor.
Now imagine that one sunny day, you heard the voice of God, telling you to build an ark atop a hill, that it would rain for forty days and forty nights, and every living thing on the face of the earth would perish, except you, and those in the ark with you.
Yes, you would have noticed the world growing exceedingly evil, you saw as God's creation perverted everything good and just, destroying themselves in the process. You witnessed as homosexuality was defended by the constitution, decapitations were fodder on live television, parents were raping their own children, the poor were mocked and treated with indifference, children were killed while still in their mothers' wombs, and merchants of illusion and death, whether alcohol or drugs were having trouble keeping up with demand. Yes, you saw God's reasoning behind His judgment!
Although the world around you grew worse and worse, and the lines of morality blurred to the point of unrecognizable, you maintained a right standing with God, in fact it was due to the fact that God would have found you righteous before Him in that generation that He would have spoken these words to you in the first place.
When the flood finally came, Noah was pushing six hundred years of age. The Word does not specify how long it took Noah to build the ark to God's specifications, but chances are it was more than a weekend project.
Throughout all this time, Noah was not alone, nor was he isolated from those living in the same region as him. It is plausible that after a given period of time, Noah would have become a running joke among his compatriots, once in awhile venturing up the hill, to see how the ark was coming along, rolling their eyes, and snickering into their palms.
"Coming along great Noah, you sure it's big enough? Couldn't you find a taller hill?"
Still, Noah labored ceaselessly, because he believed God had spoken to him, and his faith was as such that no mocking words, no rolling of the eyes, no men thinking him mad would dissuade him. He knew that he knew God spoke to him, and no amount of scorn and disdain would alter this truth. Noah simply did according to all the Lord had commanded him, including keeping to the exact specifications God had given him for the ark. In all things he was faithful and obedient.
There is a lesson to be learned in this, one that can be applied to many ministers and ministries today. It is important to remain faithful to God, to retain our purity after God speaks to us, because it was these qualities that caused Him to speak to us in the first place. Some men begin to consider themselves above reproach once God speaks to them, allowing pride and sin in their lives, justifying these things by believing they can do no wrong since God spoke to them.
Noah obeyed, he remained faithful, and once the rains started to pour, Noah and his family had a refuge. Because of the waters of the flood, Noah, his wife, his sons, and his sons' wives, went into the ark. Noah's blind faith was rewarded in that not only he was saved, but also his entire family. After the animals had entered two by two, male and female of all flesh, the Lord shut them in the ark. Their place of refuge had been prepared long before the first raindrop, and now due to nothing less than blind faith, their sanctuary kept them safe while the world perished beneath the roiling waters.
Often faith and obedience are rewarded only once the storm begins, and the waters start to pour down. It is then that we see the benefits of our faith in God, and discover the fact that He had made a place of refuge for His children, an shelter from the storm, and whatever may come, His children are safe from harm. Faith in God never fails; faith in God never falls short.
Nowadays very rarely do we hear of blind faith in God, for rather than trust Him fully and completely, we try and do it on our own, content in the knowledge that He is there, if we fail. What many don't realize, that on our own, it's not whether or not we will fail, but rather when we will fail.
The Bible never tells us how long the ark was finished before the rains came, it does not specify how many weeks, or months, or years, the ark simply stood empty, completed, atop a hill for all the world to see, but when the signs were evident that it was time to enter therein, there was no delay, no wondering, just faith that God knew best, and trust in Him was never misplaced.
In order to be protected of God, one must retain blind faith in his heavenly Father, and obey His commands, no matter the cost. God will protect His chosen through the waves and storms of this world, even if the price is, at least for a season, public ridicule from those who do not know Him.
Be not discouraged when the world perceives you as odd, different, strange, unusual, or abnormal. Take joy in the knowledge that the end of your journey, the victory that is coming, will justify your blind faith in God. To put a new twist on an old saying, he who laughs last is still alive to laugh.
Hebrews 11:7, "By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith."
Much can be said about this verse, deeper studies can be had, such as how exactly did Noah condemn the world by simply building an ark? What would have happened if he had not moved with godly fear? Was it only after he had proven obedience that he became an heir of righteousness? But these are all questions and topics for another day. Now, I go to sleep, and tomorrow, we begin the struggle anew.

With love in Christ,

Michael Boldea Jr.

16 comments:

Bonny said...

Thank you Michael. Yes, faith is knowing what God has said and hanging onto it, despite the fact that circumstances even look as though the opposite is happening. Not losing hope, or giving way to doubt.....
And our blessed ark, our Saviour Jesus, will be back soon. He is our hiding place, our safe refuge as we live in the days of Noah.

Pam said...

This whole message is encapsulated in a Powerful song by Misty Edwards

They were drinking, marrying, laughing
As In the days of Noah
What a fool they say to build a boat on sand
What a fool they say.
It’s never rained before
It’s never rained before
It’s never rained before

As in the days of Noah
so it’ll be at the coming of the Son of Man
What a fool they’ll say to fast and pray
What a fool they’ll say.

Many, Many, Many a scoffer will come and say
He’s been gone two thousand years and he’s coming again
Come on lets get real.

It’s never rained before
It’s never rained before,
It’s never rained before

But when the rain starts falling….. it’s too late….. it’s too late.
And when the rain starts falling….its too late..
-------------------
It goes on further
But that is the main message..
To listen to a snippet of the song you can use this link..

http://www.worshipmusic.com/fm038.html

I really, really recommend this cd.

Pam

http://worshipwords.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Dear Brother: I feel that the lench-pin of judgment on America will be our betrayal of Israel. On top of all of our sins you mention, which are multiplied up to the heavens, there is a distinct warning in Zechariah 12:3,4 that says " Behold, I will make Jereusalem a cup of trembling (poison) unto ALL the people round about, when they shall lay siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem. And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for ALL people; all that burden themselves with it shall be CUT IN PIECES, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it."
The US Secretary of State and the US Government are forcing the division of Jerusalem, and Judea and Samaria (the West Bank of Israel). God has said He will cut to pieces ANYONE who burdens themselves with Israel's issues. Within one year, December 2008, the deadline for a settlement between the PA and Israel established by President Bush, we will see first hand how the Almighty deals with nations that touch the apple of His eye. Mtzion@hughes.net

A Seed Sower said...

Yes all these things are true, and the enemy of our souls is doing his best to deture us from what God has called us to do. We must not listen to him who would tell us that since the fathers fell asleep they have said the Lord was going to return. The enemy would like us to become like the world. I saw a tag on the back of a newish jeep that a lady who takes her child to "christian" pre-school where my grandaughter goes..it reads "Life is Good", I want to have a tag made that says "Yes life is good-but Heaven is better". It amazes me that Christians unlike the disciples of old, are in no hurry to go to heaven, in no hurry to get out of this sin infested world, they love the trapings of this world to much. A mans worth does not consist of the abundances of things which he possesses, becasue that all can be gone in a split second. We need to begin to look up, and work out our salvation with fear and trembling...and this I say to remind myself that I need to hold on because the goal is in site.
God Bless to all
Helen B.

Rod said...

Within the Noah story, I believe it does say it took about 120 years for the ark to be built. Anyway, there was no lack of time for Noah and his family, and anyone else...if they would have listened...to prepare and enter the "Ark" of Refuge.
Blessings! Rod S.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I never thought of my faith in God as blind. What's coming down the road; which is unknown, I am blind to (unless God reveals it); but my faith in God is never blind. I'm guessing this is what you mean by “blind faith”. My faith is built upon something tangible; evidences that verify Scripture, witnessing the faith of another Christian in trials and persecutions, a testimony given by another Christian, an act of God, the fulfillment of Biblical prophecy...something. There is a foundation under my faith.

Blind faith to me is letting a perfect stranger watch your children while you head out to do some shopping. In that example, I have nothing to base my decision upon. It is truly a blind faith in that person. I will however let my parents watch my children, because I know them, I have spent time with them, they raised me, etc. My faith in my parents is not blind, but based upon experience and tangible proof.

I see my faith in God as very similar. I had many barriers to believing the God of the Bible. I was like doubting Thomas that needed some kind of proof before I would believe. Christ was gracious to provide the evidence (proof) that Thomas needed. Some need more (like me) and some need less. But in every case, faith in Christ is backed up by something.

Noah had many witnesses that went before him that he listened to: Enos, Cainan, Mahalaleel, Jared, Methuselah, Lamech. Each one of them testified to the God of Adam. If his faith was genuine, then I don't think it was blind. I think it was a well informed faith. He didn't know all the details of how everything would work out (therefore this, he was blind to), but he did know it would come to pass because God proclaimed it.

I might be splitting hairs on this one, but I've debated with atheists and agnostics (and even Christians) that say that my faith in Christ is blind. I however believe that their faith in evolution is blind. I have more proof for the God of the Bible then they do for their god; the Big Bang...which is more like the Big Dud. We Christians do not have to be afraid of so-called science. Science is on our side; God made the heavens and the earth along with all the laws that govern it. Therefore, we are not walking in the dark believing in Jesus Christ blindly. I do not blindly follow Christ. I've counted the cost and found Him worthy to be trusted. I did a lot of counting, but I found in every instance that my faith in Him is well founded.

I guess the way I would put it would be; “My well informed faith in Christ allows me to walk blindly into a situation that God is leading me into”.

I understand what you're saying. So please forgive me for scrutinizing. I tend to have a little pet-peeve with the term “blind faith”, as you can tell. Hope I didn't offend.

Thanks and God Bless,
Jeff

Michael Boldea Jr. said...

Dear Jeff,
I guess a better title would have been 'Blind Obedience' It was 2 AM. However blind faith works as well. Once I know God, once I hear His voice speak to me and instruct me in any given thing, I must adopt blind faith, in that I believe I must follow through, even if the circumstances around me seem to contradict what I believe God told me.
I know you know what I meant Jeff.
Anyway, no offense taken.
Mike

Michael Boldea Jr. said...

Dear Rod,
I believe the hundred and twenty years is mentioned in the context that the life of man would be limited to a hundred and twenty years.
Genesis 6:3, "And the Lord said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet, his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."
God bless.
Mike

Anonymous said...

hey all,
i guess another thing that stuns me out of this text is that only 8 people were saved "through the storm". i have read several guesstimates of how many people might have been alive at that time-and they ranged from several hundred thousand to perhaps a billion people. yet only eight were saved!!! if our times are a mirror of the past, truly the door may be quite narrow and many who try to enter the ark will find the door closed with only a handful led to saftey while billions perish. may we find ourselves on the side of mercy in these times!

---p.g.--

Anonymous said...

If it really matters...

In the Book of Jashar, (referred to in Joshua 10:13), it states the ark took 5 years to complete.

Just a bit of trivia information. I like to read ancient texts.

Mrs. Pugh

James Kinsman said...

The righteous shall rejoice when he sees the vengeance; He shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked,
So that men will say, "Surely there is a reward for the righteous; Surely He is God who judges in the earth."
-Ps 58:10-11

I know it might seem odd and quite gross to touch or smell the blood of the wicked, let alone take a bath in it. However, when it is all said and done, we will not have mercy on those who have denied the Lord Jesus and exchanged His grace for lasciviousness, but rather we will rejoice that God is just and He rewards the righteous. In this excerpt of David's writings, there are men left over to see the wicked and their blood, unable to escape from the righteousness of God, already judged and dead.

They may still have hope, now knowing that God does judge and does not tarry forever.

I know Mike is wondering what this has anything to do with Noah, but the fact is that when God judges and Noah condemns the world by faith in a project that may have been completed well before the judgment came, his family also became certain of the God of their father, truly to be feared and forever to be exalted.

Each one of us, and I included, have been divinely warned by things that are not yet seen (or maybe if you have any eye on the news, or biblical prophetic insight, you have indeed seen and now see what is coming), it is wise of us to complete the ark that has already been started, to go into the grace of God and remove the wood that has rotted out, and replacing them with fresh lumber.

I started out strong, ready to dismantle my old self and feed my heart with the Word of Life, and when my ark of salvation was built, my eyes saw the prosperity of the others in the faith and lusted after their ways. I thought "Hey, if they can get the miracles and signs without the holiness, then what am I doing?" Only to realize a year and a half in sin that the beginning requirement of salvation must be preceded by repentance and a washing by the blood of the Lamb, that the wood must not be counterfeit or plastic, but beefy wood from God that the ark of my soul will not be destroyed.

Thank you Pam for the song, Randy for the verse, and Jeff as well.

If there is a verse that might express the heart of brother Michael, it may be 2 John 1:4

"I rejoiced greatly that I have found some of your children walking in truth..."

Anonymous said...

Amen. Jeff

Anonymous said...

Yea, God's "requests" or His word can seem outrageous and does require complete and total trust in Him to be able to follow through...build an ark in prep for a flood, caused by what again...water pouring down from the sky?!! Consider Elijah and the widow, she must have wondered...give you my last morsel and then I starve ...you sure? I can't imagine how many conflicting or contradicting thoughts must have flooded Noah's mind...but the lesson is that He chose to obey. Knowing who the message was coming from, whether it made sense at that point in time, given the knowledge of the time, the weather forecasts etc..Noah CHOSE, made a conscious decision to obey. I am reading "Through the Fire Without Burning" by Dumitru Duduman and I am amazed at his blind faith. I keep asking myself how i would respond and I have acknowledged I need to literally abandon my self to God..to hold Him as the true constant with which I gauge everything else and not the other way around.

Michael thanks for sacrificing your sleep to post this :)

Blessings,
Joyce

Amy said...

Thank you brother Mike. This message is an encouragement to me because lately the Lord is requiring this kind of blind faith in following Him and it is very uncomfortable. Many times when I think the Lord is telling me something - mostly in terms of doing something (obedience) - it makes no sense and there is no other frame of reference for it, like "rain" was to Noah. Nor is there anyone else I dare bounce it off. My typical reaction is to worry it's not the Lord and say, "Where is THAT in the Bible?" in a way that is not "Berean". Since the beginning of my walk with Him I have always said that and He immediately led me to even the most obscure scriptures to prove it to me. This is actually what gave me such a hunger to study and understand His Word, because it was so shocking and amazing to realize how much is in there. But His ways are higher than ours and sometimes what He asks me to do looks crazy to everyone else around me. All I can do is obey and wait, like Noah must have, for the confirmation of the animals coming, so to speak. By the way, have you thought about that? When all those pairs of animals from all over the Earth started heading to the ark, if that wasn't a clue that God had indeed spoken to Noah... Because I don't think Noah had to go gather them. Anyway, thank you again.

James Kinsman said...

I wonder if it were a great stampede resounding and shaking the core of the earth. Such that anyone who stepped in the way of the furry friends were killed on the spot without a chance to see where they were going or if they had time to turn from their ways.

Thanks for the insight!!

Anonymous said...

But this faith is not blind nor should it be. Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.